Monday 25 July 2011

Who needs Glastonbury? (....me!)

Posted by Jude

With summer festival season upon us, Brian and I decided last minute to go to the final day of 'Oxegen 2011' in Punchestown. With Brian thinking back to our 2003 foray into festival camping at the pre Oxegen event 'Witness' he was championing the 1 day idea as a much more civilised way to 'do' a music festival. So we headed off to the venue Park and ride on Sunday 10th July.

With a line up promising a bit of cheesy pop (The Saturdays, Kesha), our old university favourites (Ocean Colour Scene, Manic Street Preachers) big headliners (Beyonce & Coldplay) and managing to meet up with our friends Annie and Gavin we were set to have a great day. Numbers apparently were down this year, but that only added to the relaxed atmosphere whereby it was easy just to sit on the grass in the sunshine and watch the big screens from afar. Having said that - I did make a beeline to the front of the crowd for Beyonce's set. The girl can sing, the girl can dance and she sure knows how to work the crowd. I did what I could with the photos. Cameras with detachable lens were not allowed into the venue so I didn't have a lot to work with, and I was holding the camera above my head for most of the stage shots with no clue what I was focusing on!

All in all it was a fantastic day that we would definitely do again. I may not be able to convince Brian that a Glastonbury 2013 ticket is for him, but maybe I'll get there myself one day (Dougie has just bought a Motor home....mmmm...).













 Posted & Photographed by Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment