Monday 25 April 2011

Paris in the Springtime

Posted by Jude....

Girls, if you haven't been to Paris take note - dropping subtle hints to your other half over about 10 years will get you there!

Although to be fair, Brian and I had just never got around to 'doing' Paris. We have been to plenty of other European cities - Prague, Budapest, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid - but maybe thought that we would leave Paris for a special occasion. Well, my husband must have thought, why wait for a special occasion? Resulting in a very lovely Christmas morning surprise....

So, after much debate with myself over my carry on wardrobe we headed off in March. There are only 3 things to consider when packing for a sightseeing 4 days in Paris - 1. Comfort, 2. The Weather (it was Cold!) and most importantly, 3. How the heck am I going to look as chic and effortless as those Parisian ladies whilst also trying to stay warm and be comfortable?! I had to think more Converse trainers than Carrie Bradshaw.

As for our 4 days in the city, all I can say is that I have fallen in love with Paris as so many people said I would. I could easily live there (I dream!). It was beautifully chilly but sunny weather. Even with the daytime temperature hovering around 3 or 4 degrees C, a sunny spot on an outdoor cafe terrace could be found to enjoy a cup of Cafe au lait and some people watching.

We packed a lot in but never felt under pressure. If there is one thing that I would strongly recommend, it is to use the practically free 'Velib' bicycles. It's a fantastic system that allows you to see more that you ever would on the Metro, is much quicker than walking and allows you to feel a little bit Parisian for a few days as you cycle along with others doing their shopping or going to and from work. Do cycle along the St. Martin Canal on a Sunday (closed to vehicles all day) but maybe don't cycle up The Champs Elysees though like us - fast and free, but scary!





























Posted by Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment